Sunday 6 December 2009

Children in the House of God

After church this morning an elderly member of the congregation came up to me and the long suffering wife and said:

With the noice you daughter makes, i just wonder, had you thought of leaving her at home?

i was tempted to point out that we dont have a nanny but instead said, you know the bible says Jesus got very cross when people tried to stop children coming to him.

She responded - yes dear, children, not babies.

The long suffering wife left in tears. It only takes one person in each congregation to insure that people are put of. Congregations are in decline, and it seems that for someone with a baby there is a sign outside saying you are not welcome here. The tornado is not incredibly loud, she is good natured, and if she does cry we take her out, but if she is gargling a bit we dont. This is not an isolated incident however, we have experienced the same thing in 4 out of 5 churches we have been to.

I realise that some like an atmosphere of silence of peace, a chance to concentrate and focus on God. However, if people are sent away for 3 years when they have children then they will never come back, as maybe is shown by our emptying churches.

3 comments:

  1. If you and your family ever have the chance to come to the USA and chance to come to Ohio, please let me know! I will be happy to introduce you to a church family that WELCOMES! babies and their families. Our pastor's viewpoint is that a church with babies is a growing church. I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :O That is so very rude. I am quite horrified for you all but sadly not surprised, I have been in LSW's position of leaving in tears before when I've had to defend my children.

    Nobody who spends time with small babies could doubt that they are spiritual creatures. Welcoming what they bring to our own moments of awe and wonder is a skill so many churches lack.

    We have considered giving up on our Church, but the problem seems to be so bad within the rest of Anglicanism too. It's a shame to feel so damning about an entire expression of Church, but as with all else it isn't a problem with God, just His people... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arwen is right on. What a rude old biddy. Whenever a baby acts like babies do in our parish, i'm always glad to see that there are more fond smiles appearing on my fellow parishioners' faces than there are frowns.

    Years ago my mother told me that when our family attended church during my infancy, by the end of the service she often felt like she'd been wrestling a squirmy squalling badger. Then as she exited the sanctuary some old saint would always approach her, beaming at me, and saying "He's always so well behaved!" Mum said it took all of her restraint not to immediately hand me over to the old dear.

    ReplyDelete